Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2013 19:50:01 GMT
From:      Yury <gja822@narod.ru>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/172185: multimedia/vlc build fail with gmake core dump at modules/plugins.dat

The following reply was made to PR ports/172185; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Yury <gja822@narod.ru>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, cederom@tlen.pl
Subject: Re: ports/172185: multimedia/vlc build fail with gmake core dump
 at modules/plugins.dat
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 02:46:47 +0700

 I was trying to build vlc, had the same problem, and found out the following:
 (I've upgraded to `FreeBSD _name_ 9.2-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p1' meanwhile)

 1. After bad installation try, there happen to stay vlc shared libs in
 /usr/local/lib/ and in /usr/local/lib/vlc/, also include files in
 /usr/local/include/vlc, they can make troubles. I had to manually find and
 delete them.

 2. The vlc-cache-gen problem (core dump on "GEN ../modules/plugins.dat" step)
 happen on the install stage. That is, if you'll just `make', you'll get that
 plugins.dat file (I had) in modules directory, but trying to install working (!)
 vlc afterwards ends up in "Segmentation fault". (By the way, do not skip item
 no. 1!)

 3. So, if you do `make', then comment out six lines in
 work/vlc-2.1.0/bin/Makefile section "../modules/plugins.dat:", you have the
 chance to successful installation.

 4. By the way, vlc writes an error, when started, complaining on lua module.
 But, even with "--disable-lua" I couldn't "make install".

 Hope, this helps, Yury.