Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:09:18 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>, Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/gnu/usr.bin/man/man Makefile man.c src/etc/mtree BSD.local.dist BSD.usr.dist BSD.x11-4.dist BSD.x11.dist

At 10:03 AM +0200 1/17/02, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 04:09:37PM -0500, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>  > In my case, I have about a dozen man pages that I reference a
>  > lot, and a lot of man pages that I never reference.  If something
>  > could keep track of which pages were actually referenced a lot,
>  > then some system daemon could generate cat-versions of just those
>  > man pages.
>
>catpages take less space than manpages, so I don't see a reason to
>fine grain this.  For tonight's -CURRENT:
>
>du -skc /usr/share/man/man* | tail -1
>7800    total
>du -skc /usr/share/man/cat* | tail -1
>6599    total

Note that you are comparing "all cat pages and no man pages" to
"all man pages and no cat pages".  In that sense, yes, cat pages may
take up less space than man pages.  The reality is that people will
always have all the man pages, so generating all the cat pages is
always more disk space than *not* generating all the cat pages.

In my case, the issue is really more of build times.  I rebuild my
systems pretty often, and I would just as soon keep the buildworld
times as short as possible.

But let me repeat that I do think the change to 'man' is the right
idea, due to the security concerns.  I do not wish to argue against
that change.  I'm just musing about alternate ways to get cat pages.

>periodic.conf(5)'s weekly_catman_enable=YES seens to be a good
>option here, no?

Yes, this will be a useful option.  I was just trying to come up with
some more bells and whistles for it...  :-)