Date:      Mon, 7 Dec 1998 02:44:09 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, j@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        patton@sysnet.net
Subject:   Re: CAM vs traditional devices

>> This isn't a SCSI issue. This is a slice issue. And I sure wish I could
>> figure it out sometimes. You probably need to ask freebsd-current about
>> this.

This is mainly a great renaming issue.

>> > The kernel still thinks the root device is "sd0s1a". Why is that? Also how

This is backwards.  The root device is the only device for which the old
"sd" name no longer works.  The kernel looks up the device by number in
bdevsw[] and only finds the new name "da" (driver name = device name prefix).

>Also, the name of the boot device is passed up from the bootstrap, so
>you need to reinstall the bootstrap (disklabel -B da0s1) in order to
>get it to new names.  (IMHO)

Not true.  The _number_ of the boot device is passed up from the bootstrap.
The name in the bootstrap only affects what you have to type there to
override the default.

Sample mixed up configuration (for a dangerously dedicated disk):

  Name             Where              Why
  1:sd(0,a)kernel  /boot.config       old bootstrap doesn't have "da"
  da0a             root mount struct  kernel doesn't have "sd" in bdevsw[]
  da0a             /etc/disktab       must match name in root mount struct
  sd0e             /etc/disktab       old disktab, only needed to change rootdev

Bruce