Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:07:22 -0600
From:      Steve Price <steve@havk.org>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Kevin Lo <kevlo@FreeBSD.org>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/textproc/gaspell Makefile ports/textproc/gaspell/files patch-aa

[Cc: trimmed and redirected to -ports]

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 09:55:12AM -0600, Ade Lovett wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 07:34:48AM -0800, Kevin Lo wrote:
> > kevlo       2001/02/25 07:34:47 PST
> >
> >   Modified files:
> >     textproc/gaspell     Makefile
> >     textproc/gaspell/files patch-aa
> >   Log:
> >   - Fix LIB_DEPENDS
> >   - Use USE_X_PREFIX
> >   - Use USE_GNOMELIBS
>
> No, no, no, no, no.  Do not use any GNOME knobs outside of the core
> GNOME environment (that which makes up x11/gnome) other than USE_GNOME.
>
> ports/Mk/bsd.gnome.mk even has wording to this effect.

From bsd.gnome.mk:

# USE_GNOMELIBS - Says that the port uses the GNOME libraries.
# USE_GNOMECTRL - Says that the port uses the GNOME control center.
# USE_GNOME     - Says that the port uses the GNOME desktop environment.

# Ports outside of the offical GNOME distribution should probably not be
# using USE_GNOMELIBS or USE_GNOMECTRL, unless they have a very good reason.
# Most GNOME ports require USE_GNOME for the correct remove of directories
# in ${X11BASE}/share/gnome.  Ports using GNOME should also have
# USE_X_PREFIX defined.

This port uses the GNOME libraries and doesn't require the control
center or the desktop environment to run.  At least I'm assuming
that to be the case.  Why isn't this a legitimate use of USE_GNOMELIBS?

> This *will* break with GNOME 1.4 -- please use USE_GNOME.

How will this break with GNOME 1.4?  More importantly why? :)

-Steve