Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 1997 16:17:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        perlsta@sunyit.edu (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: threads?

> i recently ssaw a flurry of questions relating to threads on the 3.0 smp
> system, can you split threads among processors? or will they all be bound
> to the same CPU?

"Can you now" and "will you be able to" are two different questions.

I know John Dyson has kernel threads, and they will work between
processors; you can ask him for his "magic user space pieces" or
wait for a checking of some kind, either way.  I'm sure he'd love
informed commentary on the code...

"Can you now" is a definite "no", without John's stuff.

I don't know whether he is attacking this as a cooperative scheduler,
but the rume is that he is.  If so, there are CPU affinitiy issues
that may ned addressing...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---