Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:21:31 -0600
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, developers@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.org>, Richard Sharpe <sharpe@ns.aus.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD performing worse than Linux?

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 06:37:05PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> don't.  Which would have been more useful: say to Richard "sorry, my
> plate's full", or "I can't help you, but I'll try to find people who
> aren't too aggressive to help you".  Nate has given some information.
> You can't blame him for not having the time to do the legwork.

It would have been much more useful to say:

  "Hey guys, I'm seeing bad network performance on my boxes, including
   random drops, hangs and crashes.  This didn't happen when the box was
   running 4.3.  Here's the dmesg output, and this is where you can get
   a binary tcpdump of the connection."

I'm not asking Nate to do legwork, other than collecting some reasonable
data that illustrates the problem; I can't analyze data I don't have.
--
Jonathan