Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 1997 16:50:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      "kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net" <root@sunshine.net>
To:        Martin Naskovski <mn39337@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: PPP/PAP authentication

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Martin Naskovski wrote:

> Hi. I can't get PAP to work on ppp under FreeBSD 2.1.7. I set up the login
> name right, the password too, including the enable pap, disable chap,
> accept pap parameters, and then all I get once it successfully logs in is
> a "Packet mode" response, the ppp doesn't convert to PPP to signify that
> it did actually went into PPP, and when I try to ping, it shows as though
> no routes exist for the outside world.

You want the server to assign the address to you so what I did
successfully was:
  accept pap
  disable pap
What I was told was if you enable pap it signifies that you are going to
assign the IP addresses.

> Would anyone _please_ tell me what I miss to do? I just used the stuff
> that's in /etc/ppp but it don't quite work, I guess I'm forgetting to set
> something up? Can someone else who uses PAP authentication tell me what
> their setup looks like or forward it to me as attachment? Thank you.
>
> Martin

Kevin

P.S. I had the damnedest time with the setup and as a note if you run
Linux Emulation the DNS setup is different. Check Handbook - Linux Emulation.