Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 23:09:51 +0100 (CET)
From:      Charlie Rewt <invalid-address@free-pr0n.netscum.dk>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, usenet@tdk.net
Subject:   Re: Intel wiseman and livengood gigabit ethernet support

[This sender address is invalid -- I follow by gated newsgroups.
 But the people afflicted by this problem are in the Cc: so you
 are welcome to send your reply to them]

> > 1. Is the 82543GC Gigabit Controller from Intel supported? and
> Not yet. I have a card being sent to me soon so I can try and make it work.

We've been unfortunate enough to get a stack of Pro/1000 F cards
here, and since I see that your name appears on the mid-October
commit to add lightly-tested support LIVENGOOD support, I have a
few questions.

First, which cards currently qualify (or have been tested) for the
LIVENGOOD or LIVENGOOD_SC support?

Secondly, I know this would be reverse-engineering black magic, but
the Intel web site has the source for a Linux driver that allegedly
supports the cards we have.  I'll suggest to the people here who
actually have these cards in hand (I don't) if they'd build a Linux
machine with this driver and see if it does in fact work.  The date
on the tarball sourcefiles I downloaded is 30.Oct, which is somewhat
later than the FreeBSD driver support, in case there may have been
some changes that would need to be added here.  I took a brief look
at the source to see what might be different and promptly fell asleep.

We did add one of these cards to a FreeBSD 4-STABLE machine and it
is detected by the wx driver as follows, but we can't see any packets
going into it.  I was not around for the networking that resulted in
the following kernel messages, so I don't know what all was done.
As far as I know, the card has only been tested in one machine so far.

Jan 18 10:13:37 news-feed69 /kernel: wx0: <Intel GigaBit Ethernet (LIVENGOOD_SC)> mem 0xf4200000-0xf420ffff,0xf4220000-0xf423ffff irq 20 at device 4.0 on pci2
Jan 18 10:13:37 news-feed69 /kernel: wx0: Ethernet address 00:03:47:3b:93:e9
Jan 18 10:19:43 news-feed69 /kernel: wx0: receive sequence error
Jan 18 10:21:21 news-feed69 /kernel: wx0: promiscuous mode enabled
[...]
Jan 18 10:22:19 news-feed69 /kernel: wx0: promiscuous mode disabled
Jan 18 10:23:12 news-feed69 /kernel: wx0: receive sequence error

Just what would be the difference between LIVENGOOD and LIVENGOOD_SC
anyway?  Is the _SC the copper rather than fiber?  I'm trying to wrap
my brane around the differences between the FreeBSD and Linux vendor/
device IDs...

Here is the output of ifconfig for this driver and card:

wx0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	inet 193.162.153.121 netmask 0xffffffff broadcast 193.162.153.121
	ether 00:03:47:3b:93:e9
	media: 1000baseSX <full-duplex> (autoselect <full-duplex>) status: active
	supported media: 1000baseSX <full-duplex> 1000baseSX

The README in the Linux e1000-2.5.14.tar.gz file sez:

| This driver supports the following Intel adapters:
|
|     Intel(R) PRO/1000 Gigabit Server Adapter      700262-xxx
|                                                   717037-xxx
|
|     Intel(R) PRO/1000 F Server Adapter            738640-xxx
|                                                   A38888-xxx
|                                                   A06512-xxx
|
|     Intel(R) PRO/1000 T Server Adapter            A19845-xxx
|                                                   A33948-xxx

[...]
| This driver should also work on the following adapters:
|
|     IBM Netfinity Gigabit Ethernet SX Adapter
|     IBM Gigabit Ethernet SX Server Adapter
|     IBM Gigabit Ethernet Server Adapter

This can be reached from
http://support.intel.com/support/network/adapter/1000/software.htm
if you needed a pointer.

And of course the Real Question, have you had any success in getting
this card (to work) so far?  We'd be happy to apply and test patches
if this would help.

Many thanks!
barry bouwsma, for the tdc internet newsbastards team at <usenet@tdk.net>

==== original message that started this thread: ====

: I'm after some help on what gigabit ethernet card is supported on FreeBSD.
: I'm using FreeBSD4.2-STABLE.
: >From what I've read, I've dug up the following info.
:
: GENERIC has an entry for a wx - Intel Gigabit Ethernet Card (``Wiseman'').
: 'man wx' says it's for "the original WISEMAN and the newer LIVENGOOD chipsets"
: /usr/src/sys/pci/if_wx.c says it's the "Intel Gigabit Ethernet (82452) Driver"
:
: http://www.intel.com/network/products/pro1000giga.htm talks about an 82543GC
: Gigabit Controller. There are 2 NICs, a Pro/1000T and a Pro/1000FS.
: Intel don't seem to make any mention of Wiseman or Livengood chipsets.
:
: My questions are:
: 1. Is the 82543GC Gigabit Controller from Intel supported? and
: 2. Do both the fibre optic and UTP versions work?
:
: John Ryan
: Systems Manager
: KGV School