Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:19:20 -0700
From:      Brad Jones <brad@kazrak.com>
To:        Chris Csanady <ccsanady@iastate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE Questions

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 04:51:55PM -0500, Chris Csanady wrote:
> Is there anyone successfully using an IBM 75GXP with an Abit KT7-Raid
> motherboard?  I am using stable from a couple days ago, and am having
> some problems getting it to work.
>
> [snip]
>
> When I attach the disk to the Highpoint 370 controller, the
> machine wedges after a short while.  Is the support for this
> chipset in stable up to date?  Also, are there any plans to
> merge the support for tagged queueing?

There appear to be some problems with the IBM disks and some drive
controllers.  (The HPT366 is one, so I wouldn't be surprised if the 370
has problems as well.)  The latest BIOS for the 366 is supposed to fix
this problem, but it only partially fixed it for me.  (The BIOS detects
the disk properly, but any attempt to access causes the machine to hang.)

My workaround for my BP6 motherboard was to connect it to one of the
standard BX IDE controllers, but this is less than ideal.

In short, this is much less likely to be FreeBSD's problem than Highpoint's,
IMO.

BJ

--
Brad Jones -- brad@kazrak.com
"Until you can face up to reality, I'm not sure you can be my imaginary