Date:      24 Sep 1998 13:06:38 -0500
From:      stephen farrell <stephen@farrell.org>
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, stephen farrell <stephen@farrell.org>, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sybase/linux

Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com> writes:

> On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Mike Smith wrote:
>

> > PLEASE SEND EMULATION-RELATED QUESTIONS TO freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
> >
> > Thankyou.
> >
> > > ok, with great anticipation i downloaded sybase linux (go to
> > > redhat.com--it's avaliable for FREE!)... i then check it out and to my
> > > grave dissappointment it uses libc6.
> > >
> > > what's the prospects on running this beast under freebsd?  how about
> > > linux-libs with gnu libc?
> >
> > You need a very-up-to-date Linux LKM, and the add-on library pack at
> > ftp://time.cdrom.com/pub/incoming/libs.tar.gz.  This should make it
> > into the 3.0 ports collection at some stage.
> >

> Unfortunately, it appears like the license prohibits you from using it
> on FreeBSD under emulation.
>
> The license when you download from Caldera says:
>
> LICENSE & LICENSE RESTRICTIONS. You are allowed to install and use the
> Software for free as long as you operate the Software at all times only
> with the Linux operation system running natively on your hardware
> system. You may modify, translate or adapt the Software as long as you
> do not reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble it (except to the
> extent the laws in your jurisdiction specifically prohibit these
> restrictions).

Redhat doesn't mention any such restriction.  That must just be a
caldera thing.  (i hope).  A little bit ironic that a company that is
battling microsoft for unfair business practices seems to be anxious
to eliminate BSD unix (what other systems emulate linux?? -- there was
that sco thing but i don't think that's serious competetion).  Oh well.

Anyway, do I need 3.0, or can i get the latest linux emulator for
2.2.7?

--

Steve Farrell