Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:48:35 +0300
From:      Vladimir Grebenschikov <vova@fbsd.ru>
To:        Josh Elsasser <josh@elsasser.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using VESA to restore display settings on resume

=F7 =D7=D3, 27/02/2005 =D7 23:26 -0500, Josh Elsasser =D0=C9=DB=C5=D4:
...cut...

>> >THANK YOU!  I've had my laptop for 3 1/2 years, and I can finally
>> >suspend/resume and have a usable display afterwards!  Cardbus doesn't
>> >appear to work after resume, but that's a whole different can of
>> >worms...
>> >
>> >The system I tested this on was RELENG_5 from yesterday, the patch
>> >applied cleanly.  I already had the hw.acpi.reset_video set to 0, so I
>> >don't know if it would work with it set to 1.
>>=20
>> What notebook you have ? I was not such lucky.
>>=20
>> I Has SONY VAIO PCG-Z1WA, by zzz it sleeps ok,=20
>> With patch it even said about saving VESA data.
>> On any key after it is awakes, spin up drive and fan, but screen still
>> black (even no backlight), and it is very unlike that I get console back
>> (typing has no effect, even when I try to call kdb).
>>=20
>> Also if I try this patch with vesa module loaded it just carsh in vm86
>> mode on zzz (curproc acpiconf).
>>=20
>> Any suggestions are very welcome.
>
>What is hw.acpi.reset_video set to on your system?  At some point
>between 5.2 and 5.3, my machine would hang on resume instead of just
>resuming with no display.  Setting hw.acpi.reset_video=3D0 in
>loader.conf fixed that.  I have a Sony Vaio FX220, which has an i815
>graphics chip.

I've tried both 0 and 1 for reset_video (but set via sysctl).
And I has 6-CURRENT now, but this notebook never returned from suspend=20
(with 5.3 too). It has ATI RADEON chip.

Probably I should try firewire console to detect what happens on resume,
but firewire bus itself should be resumed first.=20

Suspend/Resume gurus, is it possible to debug dead console resume with
firewire ?

> -jre

--=20
Vladimir B. Grebenchikov