Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 08:19:16 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
Subject:   Re: Vinum problem

On Friday, 14 July 2000 at 15:14:39 -0700, Josef Grosch wrote:
> Greg,
>
> I am trying to set up a "Raid10" using vinum and it is just not working. If
> you could point me in the right direction...
>
> The config file looks like this ....
>
> <snip>
> 1 volumes:
> V d101                  State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:         34 GB
>
> 2 plexes:
> P d101.p0             S State: up       Subdisks:     2 Size:         34 GB
> P d101.p1             S State: faulty   Subdisks:     2 Size:         34 GB
>
> 4 subdisks:
> S d101.p0.s0            State: up       PO:        0  B Size:         17 GB
> S d101.p0.s1            State: up       PO:      512 kB Size:         17 GB
> S d101.p1.s0            State: empty    PO:        0  B Size:         17 GB
> S d101.p1.s1            State: empty    PO:      512 kB Size:         17 GB
> root@duluth:53 #

Looks good to me.

> any comments would help

RTFM?

     2.   When you create a volume with multiple plexes, vinum does not auto-
          matically initialize the plexes.  This means that the contents are
          not known, but they are certainly not consistent.  As a result, by
          default vinum sets the state of all newly-created plexes except the
          first to stale. In order to synchronize them with the first plex,
          you must start their subdisks, which causes vinum to copy the data
          from a plex which is in the up state.  Depending on the size of the
          subdisks involved, this can take a long time.

          In practice, people aren't too interested in what was in the plex
          when it was created, and other volume managers cheat by setting them
          up anyway.  vinum provides two ways to ensure that newly created
          plexes are up:

          o   Create the plexes and then synchronize them with vinum start.

          o   Create the volume (not the plex) with the keyword setupstate,
              which tells vinum to ignore any possible inconsistency and set
              the plexes to be up.

I see we've changed the state from stale to faulty.  I don't know if
this is a good idea, and I'll consider whether to change the man page
or the behaviour.  Modulo that wrinkle, though, all is as it should
be.

Greg