Date:      Thu, 26 Nov 1998 19:26:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joseph Koshy <jkoshy>
To:        freebsd-doc
Cc:        bde
Subject:   [gnt]roff and trailing whitespace

The manual page for 'mdoc.samples' says:

   Trailing Blank Space Characters
     Troff can be confused by blank space characters at the end of a line.  It
     is a wise preventive measure to globally remove all blank spaces from
     <blank-space><end-of-line> character sequences.  Should the need arise to
     force a blank character at the end of a line, it may be forced with an
     unpaddable space and the `\&' escape character.  For example,
     `string\ \&'.

Yet I find that most of our manual pages suffer from this malady.  Is it
really a serious problem that is worth correcting?

Koshy
<jkoshy@freebsd.org>