Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 22:46:18 +0000
From:      "Butch Evans" <butche@sheltonbbs.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Signal 11

You, Greg, wrote about "Re: Signal 11" on 13 Oct 97

> On Sun, Oct 12, 1997 at 05:47:03PM +0000, Butch Evans wrote:
> > I have recently installed the Merit Radius port.  I am getting (on a
> > fairly regular basis) Signal 11 exits.  What is this error, and what
> > could be causing it?  I can provide more information, but I don't
> > know what to add until you ask.
>
> Signal 11 is a segmentation violation, and it writes a core file.
> This core file is the clue to what's happened.  Of course, you need
> somebody to debug it for you.

Thanks for the answer.  Is the violation possibly a hardware problem?
 I am getting this error on more than one program, though it started
only after the Merit installation.  I think the Merit installation
and the core dumps are symptoms of a bigger problem.  I found in my
logfile occurances of problems with my SCSI card (Bus Mastering).  I
only found this after I sent the first message.  I will try
disableing the on-board cache and see if that helps.  Again, thanks
for the answer.

Butch Evans             |     SEMO's Finest
Network Operations  | Internet Service Provider
Shelton Internet,Inc   |    Visit our Website at
Malden, MO 63863   |  http://www.sheltonbbs.com