Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2002 11:49:32 -0300 (ADT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ~12hrs on a 4.7-RELEASE kernel and *POW*!

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
> MGF> > I'm running 4.7-PRERELEASE
> MGF> > uptime 33 days
> MGF>
> MGF> No doubt, but do you have 4gig on your machine?  Dual Processors?  and
> MGF> over 1500 processes running using ~96 IPs aliased to it?  And that is when
> MGF> she's pretty much idle :)
>
> Oh, dear Scrappy, we all know you'd love to shake the system well before use
> [tm] ;-P
>
> Ontopic: I would be *very* glad to hear from you something like "After ***, my
> servers finally work smoothly even under *my* load" ;-)

Well, last night (early this morning, actually) we got the folks at
Rackspace to do some work on the hardware itself ... make sure she wasn't
overheating, overclocked, etc ... we also got them to swap the RAM to try
and eliminate that as a potential problem ... *cross fingers*

> By the way, do you use PostgreSQL at your jail servers? And, what's your
> opinion on this, as I currently think of deploy such (but, of course,
> much less stressed) system at our site...

AS for PostgreSQL, we run it at the core OS level, not inside of the
jails' itself ... I started to use jail'd environments at the University I
work at as well (not near as stressed) and we do similar there, where
PostgreSQL is at the base OS level ...