Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 07:30:38 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Juergen Unger <j.unger@addict.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mergemaster [was: Re: Ifconfig config of gif tunnels]

On 2002-Oct-16 19:34:22 +0200, Juergen Unger <j.unger@addict.de> wrote:
>it like this idea but I do have another suggestion wich can
>be implemented additionally:  If the version of a file changed
>let mergemaster look if the old existing file was modified at
>all.  This can be done for example with a lookup of the original
>file via cvs.
>If the old existing file was never modified by an admin then
>let mergemaster silently install the new version.
>So all such files like /etc/periodic/*, /etc/mtree/*, /etc/default/*

This is unlikely to cause a problem for /etc/mtree.  It's probably
OK for /etc/periodic but is definitely dangerous for /etc/default.

In the recent past, there have been changes to /etc/default/rc.conf
which inverted the run state of inetd (twice), significantly changed
the behaviour of the sendmail and changed the parameter meaning for
log_in_vain.  These all potentially require corresponding changes to
/etc/rc.conf.  Two mechanisms are usually proposed to allieviate the
need to read changes to /etc/defaults/rc.conf:
1) Read UPDATING
2) Explicitly include the wanted status of relevant variables (on or
   off) in /etc/rc.conf.

Neither of these worked for the log_in_vain change - it wasn't
mentioned in UPDATING and since the actual parameter format changed,
just having 'log_in_vain="NO"' or  'log_in_vain="YES"' in your
/etc/rc.conf wasn't adequate protection.  Likewise, the sendmail
changes meant you had to change /etc/rc.conf if any part of your
sendmail configuration was not as per the defaults.

>If a file is then mentioned in /etc/defaults/mergemaster.conf or
>/etc/mergemaster.conf the file is processed like defined there.
>If the file it is not listed in a .../mergemaster.conf then
>check the cvs if the old file was modified, if not install the
>new version.  If modified ask the updating admin what to do...

This does sound like a good idea but how do you handle the case where
the person doesn't have a CVS repository?  I gather a lot of people
CVSup /usr/src, not /usr/ncvs.  Even those who do have /usr/ncvs
locally might not export it to client machines when doing remote
installs.

Peter