Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 23:36:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Reid <steve@edmweb.com>
To:        pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Secure RPC revisited

> Well, there=B4s another solution, you can telnet to Canada, or another
> part of the free world, and write your encryption there. Technically
> speaking you are not exporting the software,=20

Technically you _are_ exporting it over the telnet connection. Of course,
if you use Ssh instead of telnet nobody will know. :)  I am not a lawyer
but it seems to me that ITAR applies to whatever the anti-crypto powers
want it to apply to. The "crypto hooks" part is so broad that it could
potentially allow a piece of wire to be considered a munition since you
could plug crypto into it (same as plugging it into crypto). The
anti-crypto forces are somewhat limited in what they _do_ prosecute,
because if they prosecute something stupid the law could be thrown out on
constitutional grounds.=20

> but then Walnut Creek, Netscape, IBM and the others should follow
> OpenBSD and move their headquarters to Canada.=20

I may be mistaken, but I think taxes are quite a bit higher up here.=20

The US crypto export matter is currently before the courts. Hopefully the
courts will decide that crypto-related parts of ITAR are unconstitutional.
There's also the "Pro-CODE" bill trying to get through Congress, but I
guess the courts will probably be where it's won, just like with the CDA.=
=20

There's the Golden Key Campaign. See http://www.privacy.org/ipc/=20