Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 1997 06:19:34 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: emacs core dumping on -current?

In reply:
> > another thing...  the cvsup tag RELENG_2_2_5 seems to retreive -current.  i
> > was running 2.2-STABLE, and wanted to finally upgrade to 2.2.5, guess what...
>
> Ain't no such tag.  You want RELENG_2_2 to follow the branch or
> RELENG_2_2_5_RELEASE if you want a static snapshot of just the
> release.

okay, this much has been established from the previous posts...

any ideas other than uname that might be causing the core dumps of emacs?

is this actively being looked at, or is it presently fixed?

SO FAR AS I CAN TELL, emacs is the only thing effected by this.  granted,
emacs is one of the most fussy programs out there, and can spot problems in
a multitude of things.

i understand that there are other editors out there, and i did not intend to
start another editor war [heading this off before it starts], but to me the
statement "learn nvi" is unacceptable.  i am comfortable with emacs.

anyhow, i have asked about the 3.0 status several times now, and am willing
to stick it out in the interest of moving ahead.

one big question, how accurate is the "Design ... 4.4BSD" [1996, McKusick,
et al.] book in regards to the 3.0 effort.  i understand that the vm is
completely different than described in the book.  is there a master listing
of differences?

i guess, these questions actually should be on the -current list, i'll be
subscribing to that one forthwith.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or