Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2013 03:53:53 +0800
From:      Sunpoet Hsieh <sunpoet@sunpoet.net>
To:        Steve Wills <swills@freebsd.org>
Cc:        perl@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: With or without .packlist?

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 12:59 AM, Steve Wills <swills@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 10:13:42AM +0200, Frederic Culot wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > Hi guys,
> > >
> > > With the staging support, we can properly decide what we do pack or
> not inside
> > > the packages, the question now is do we keep the .packlist (in that
> case they
> > > need to be fixed because they are full of stage path :)) or should we
> just drop
> > > those files and no package them at all.
> > >
> > > It seems to me that most of the other operating systems are not
> packaging.
> > >
> > > I have no clue what what those .packlist files are useful for, so I do
> have no
> > > opinion, would be nice to get a perl@ claim on this soon, as we
> either need to
> > > fix them or nuke them.
> > >
> > > btw: sunpoet has a PR I'm sitting one because of that:
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/182806
> > >
> > > regards,
> > > Bapt
> >
> > >From my own experience (which is far from extensive in this matter), the
> > .packlist files are used for two different purposes.
> >
> > The first one is related to the management of modules via ExtUtils::*
> > utilities (ExtUtils::Installed and ExtUtils::Packlist are the ones I am
> > aware of), such as inventory management of modules.
> >
> > The second one is related to the building of standalone package, via
> > modules such as App::FatPacker. One may use those to bundle a script and
> > all its dependencies into a single standalone package, and to do so the
> > .packlist files are relied upon.
> >
> > For the first use, I believe the .packlist files can safely be removed,
> > because FreeBSD already provides all the necessary tools to perform such
> > inventory management. But for the second use I am not sure... If we are
> > to remove .packlist files we may end up with users complaining they
> > could not bundle their scripts anymore (I already heard such complains
> > from gentoo users for instance). But there might by other ways to
> > package modules and dependencies which do not require .packlist files to
> > be present.
> >
> > >From my own perspective, I believe the benefits we would get from
> > removing those .packlist files (mainly easier integration with staging)
> > exceeds the drawbacks, and I would agree to drop them.
>
> I'm somewhat on the fence, but if fixing the paths is troublesome, dropping
> them is fine, IMHO.
>
> Steve

Hi perl folks,

I would like to start from my staging patch (PR/182806).

Currently we build perl modules in 3 ways:
- USE_PERL5=configure: staging support is ready; create .packlist
- USE_PERL5=modbuild: no staging support; no .packlist (*1)
- USE_PERL5=modbuildtiny: no staging support; create .packlist

(*1) .packlist creation is a default-on option of Module::Build but
mat@turned it off
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/Mk/bsd.port.mk?r1=137914&r2=137915

In order to provide staging support for USE_PERL5=modbuild*, I submitted
the patch which contains 3 parts:
1. add staging support for USE_PERL5=modbuild*
2. post-stage:: target removes STAGEDIR prefix from .packlist
3. (only in v2 patch) create .packlist for USE_PERL5=modbuild
As you can see, .packlist does not block staging support. I just try to
save exp-run time by submitting them together.

Personally, I would prefer to create/keep .packlist for all modules. It
helps to bundle scripts/modules. Though we have other ways to generate such
list (e.g. converted from "pkg info -l" output), it requires extra work. I
see no harm to keep such small file (.packlist).

We do not need to have final decision right now but I would suggest to fix
staging and .packlist as soon as possible.
I plan to commit the v1 patch [1] this weekend.
1. commit v1 patch [1] to provide staging support and fix .packlist. I plan
to do it this weekend.
2. enable staging support for all USE_PERL5=modbuild* ports [2] (I could
re-generate patch for modbuild ports)
3. depends on our decision of .packlist, modify perl5.mk

[1] http://people.freebsd.org/~sunpoet/perl5-staging/perl5.mk.v1.patch
[2] http://people.freebsd.org/~sunpoet/perl5-staging/modbuildtiny.patch

Regards,
sunpoet