Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 18:28:14 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: install -d -C (was: Re: cvs commit: src/share/man/man5 make.conf.5 src/share/examples/etc make.conf)

--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 06:21:17AM +1000, Bruce Evans wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>=20
> > >
> > > I'd like to get rid of it too.  But not in RELENG_4.  -c has been the=
 default
> > > for long enough now in -current.  As you know, there are various prob=
lems
> > > in using the correctly named variable for install(1)'s flags (INSTALL=
FLAGS)
> > > to actually hold install's flags in a general way (mainly, this varia=
ble
> > > already exists and is used in a non-general way).  However, the old h=
ack
> > > of putting the flags in the same variable as the command still works =
well
> > > except for the -[Cp] vs -d conflict.  This depends on the flags not b=
eing
> > > order-dependent.
> > >
> > OK, -[CpS] are now ignored with -d, and I've dropped support for COPY.
> > I have a question.  Why COPY can't be removed from RELENG_4 as well?
> > Ports that use COPY (there are many of them) will see it as an empty
> > string.
>=20
> -c hasn't been the default for so long in RELENG_4, so I think the change
> has too lrge a risk/reward ratio.
>=20
Can you envision any breakage caused by me removing COPY?=3D-c from
RELENG_4's bsd.own.mk?  We bootstrap install(1), so it's in my
opinion safe to assume that on a system without COPY in bsd.own.mk
install(1) copies files by default, no?  bsd.port.mk and many
ports that use ${COPY} will substitute an empty string.  If you
disagree, what do you propose?  Remove any usages of COPY from
src/ and leave its definition in bsd.own.mk?  What purpose would
it serve then?

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,