Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:18:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bryan Sears <bsears@sitesnow.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Greg L. Skouby" <gskouby@sitesnow.com>
Subject:   NIC Issues (2.2.7 -> 3.2)

When upgrading our server from 2.2.7 to 3.2 the Intel EtherExpress NIC
card would be recognized but gave a "couldn't map memory" error.  This
card is integrated directly into our Intel 440LX motherboard.  This device
was working w/o a problem in 2.2.7.

In the end we decided to put a standalone PCI 3COM card to combat the
problem.  This worked out to be okay and the server was able to be
upgraded.  I am very perplexed as to the reason for and meaning of this
error.  I'm still getting these errors as attached below.  Any insight
would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

xl0: <3Com 3c905B-TX Fast Etherlink XL> rev 0x30 int a irq 11 on pci0.10.0
xl0: couldn't map port
xl0: WARNING: this shouldn't happen! Possible PCI support code bug!xl0:
attempting to map iobase manuallyxl0: Ethernet address: 00:10:5a:1d:53:52
xl0: autoneg complete, link status good (half-duplex, 100Mbps)
fxp0: <Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B Ethernet> rev 0x02 int a irq 10 on
pci0.16.0
fxp0: couldn't map memory

:::
: Bryan J. Sears :: bsears@sitesnow.com
: SitesNow! :: http://www.sitesnow.com
: Internet and Intranet Site Development
:::