Date:      Wed, 08 Oct 1997 19:16:24 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        gordon@drogon.net
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wheres all my memory going?

> but what's quite unusual is the size of your named process:
>
>   UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT  TT       TIME COMMAND
>     0   287     1   9   2  0 290060  840 select Ss    ??  237:40.19 named
>
>    ...almost 300MB of virtual memory? Wow! I'd ask just what you were
> primary/secondary for, but I don't think I want to know. :-)

He said he was trying to run a top-level-domain nameserver. If that means
he includes the RRs for COM (and EDU, and NET) like some of the root
servers do, I'm not the least bit surprised about this size. Consider:

COM alone has more than 1 million domains. The July host count came up with
764019 counted and 313075 missed domains for COM, for a total of 1077094.
By now probably 1.2 - 1.3 millions.)  Each domain needs at least two NS
records, and may need A (glue) records. Not all the RRs will be unique,
but with 100-200 bytes of virtual memory needed per RR, a virtual memory
size of almost 300 MByte doesn't surprise me at all. The RSS size *is*
strange, though...