Date:      Sat, 2 Mar 2002 08:41:10 -0500
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Andrew McKay <andy@openirc.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Doc List <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Official -doc freeze proposal

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 12:29:17PM +0000, Andrew McKay wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Michael Lucas wrote:
>
> ML> Breaking the -doc build should be a definite no-no during this time,
> ML> and anything that causes a break or breaks "make release" should be
> ML> immediately backed out or fixed.
>
> Pardon my naivety but shouldn't breaking the -doc build be a definite
> no-no at all times? :)

Well, it's less bad than over on -stable.  :-)

Having -doc broken for a day or two, so that the breaker can fix the
damage, isn't that big a deal.  A -src committer recently broke the
tree by importing new PGP key handling scripts, for example.  We
waited for that developer to clean up after himself rather than fixing
it ourselves.

At times we've lived with -doc breakage for considerable time.  For
example, we had a time where one article simply refused to build on
freefall.  It built everywhere else, just not on the main FreeBSD web
server where everybody goes to look for docs.  We lived with this for
some time while things were being debugged.  It was no big hairy deal.

This is one of the nice things about the doc proj; we're much mellower
than the -src people.  During freeze, however, I think we need to
enforce a little more discipline than we traditionally do.

==ml

--
Michael Lucas		mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org
my FreeBSD column: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/q/Big_Scary_Daemons