Date:      27 Oct 2000 18:49:37 -0400
From:      Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
To:        Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
Cc:        dillon@earth.backplane.com (Matt Dillon), freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Really odd "BTX halted" problem booting FreeBSD on VALinux

Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com> writes:
>> >     o  Don't use dangerously dedicated mode.
>>
>> I'd love to but the tools for automated installs in non-dedicated mode
>> dont really exist in a supported way.  One of the things that was pointed
>> out in the thread is that disklabel doesn't work inside an fdisk slice.
>
>Disklabel really needs to be rewritten.

        Few truer statements have ever been made...

>> I could use expect to manipulate sysinstall?  So, for now, I use
>> dangerously dedicated installs with a hacked fake partition table to work
>> around the broken bioses I use.  I just might start using program posted
>> in this thread that lets you do labels right in lieu of anything else, or
>> perhaps I'll fix disklabel to work right as was suggeseted elsewhere.
>
>Don't sysinstall work in a script mode?  I've never used it, but I
>thought it did.

        It does work in a scripted mode, however the documentation on it is
close to non-existant; arguments are case-sensitive, etc.  I was working to
migrate data to disks/partitions of different sizes, and had to read lots
of the sysinstall/disklabel source, and on top of that had to hack
sysinstall in order to get it to work at all for my purpose.  Ugh.

--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate Communications, ex-Scala, ex-Amiga OS team ('88-94)
rjesup@wgate.com