Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:05:30 +0200
From:      Sander Vesik <sander.vesik@gmail.com>
To:        NAKATA Maho <chat95@mac.com>
Cc:        openoffice@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why OpenOffice 1.1.4 port does not use WITH_TTF_BYTECODE_ENABLED option ?

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:50:12 +0900 (JST), NAKATA Maho <chat95@mac.com> wrote:
> Hi Mikhail,
> Can you please take a screenshot? I've never see an improvement
> by setting this option or send me a file.

Anything that uses delta hinting to change the actual form of the
character would look better (probably a lot) with hinting on as
opposed to off. The same goes for non-linear and optical scaling.

Sure, some of these things are far more apparent (at least as things
stand) if you have bought professional fontsets from foundries - which
are sometimes way more expensive even than say MSO ;-) - but still,
the benefits do exist and will over time be availale in free fonts
aswell. OOo already makes many ftypography related things
unnecessarily hard :(