Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:17:35 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Steve Price <steve@havk.org>
Cc:        Kevin Lo <kevlo@FreeBSD.org>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/textproc/gaspell Makefile ports/textproc/gaspell/files patch-aa

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 12:07:22PM -0600, Steve Price wrote:
> This port uses the GNOME libraries and doesn't require the control
> center or the desktop environment to run.  At least I'm assuming
> that to be the case.  Why isn't this a legitimate use of USE_GNOMELIBS?

Because it's not part of the GNOME core distribution.  On reflection,
providing anything other than USE_GNOME in bsd.gnome.mk was a mistake,
and will be rectified soon.

> > This *will* break with GNOME 1.4 -- please use USE_GNOME.
>
> How will this break with GNOME 1.4?  More importantly why? :)

Heavy duty restructuring of both GNOME itself, and the ports as
a result.  Some code disappearing, other stuff being added, and
the whole enchilada (x11/gnome) being split up into chunks.

Once the beta2 sourceballs come out, I'll finish off the updates,
and you'll see what I mean -- I think I have a shot at largest
number of ports upgraded in one commit :)

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.			       ade@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve		http://www.FreeBSD.org/