Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2007 17:55:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG, jarrod@ipglobal.net
Subject:   Re: freebsd-cluster

Jarrod Baumann wrote:
 > How about and drivers, experimental/beta or not, that exist for
 > mounting other existing clustered DFS environments?

Well, there's FUSE in FreeBSD's ports collection, so you
should be able to mount any file system for which there is
a FUSE driver available.  In theory.

FUSE provides an API that allows file system drivers to
run in userland.  There's a ton of FUSE file systems on
its home page ...  Most of them are only written and tested
on Linux, but it should be possible to compile and run them
on FreeBSD with minor efforts.)

Other than that, there is no distributed file system for
FreeBSD.  Coda and AFS have been mentioned, but last time
I looked they were not really usable.

When a customer asks me to set up clustered storage (HA),
I usually recommend a NetApp Filer cluster.  At least they
use a BSD-derived OS, so it's not completely off-topic. ;-)

Best regards
   Oliver

C++: "an octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog"
        -- Steve Taylor, 1998