Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 19:10:02 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        rosteen@elpn.com
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: making an application run more processes

rosteen wrote:

> Hello,
> I would like to know if there is a way to run a program and have it take
> more than one process at a time. If I am dedicating a machine to do one
> job, I would like for it to be near 40 to 60 % loaded down with work
> running just this one program.
> I've done some searches in the archives without any results. If some can
> point me in the right direction, I would be deeply grateful.

There certainly isn't a utility that will do this, the application would
have to be written to do so.  Whether or not it would be any faster
depends greatly on the application itself.  If it is a compute-bound
process, splitting it into multiple processes would slow it down due
to the overhead of coordinating the processes, unless it performs a
lot of parallel computations.  Then, you'd still lose, unless your system
has multiple CPUs.

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                     +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                  wes@softweyr.com