Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 06:17:17 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        inima@inima.al
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 installation

> I tried to install FreeBSD 2.1 withour sources and it worked. But, latter,
> trying to recompile the kernel because of the mouse I needed sources. I
> tried to use /stand/sysinstall selecting custom installation and there only
> kernel sources.
>
> Because my CD-ROM is not "BSD compatible" (it is a version of Creative
> Labs), I tried to install sources as I dir for the system itself via the dos
> partition, copying before the ssys*.* files to c:\freebsd\src IN THE SAME
> WAY I did the installation of the system, but it did not worked (file
> ssys.aa not found). I repeated the process using the directory
> c:\freebsd\dist\src, then again by using floppies, but always the same.

I think sysinstall is hosed in 2.1R -- it will work the *first* time
you install but *not* thereafter from a working system.  Can someone
clarify this / workaround?

> May you help me how to install sources without doing the reinstallation of
> all from the beginning ?

Copy the tar balls you want onto your FBSD partition (or, if they are
already on a DOS partition, mount *that* partition so it is accessible
to FBSD).  Then, use something like 'cat foo.* | tar xzvpf -' to
explode each group (e.g., "foo") of files...

--don