Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:46:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@RWSystems.net>
To:        Quintin Oliver <quintin@smlt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Connect speed on FreeBSD.

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Quintin Oliver wrote:
> Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:16:41 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Quintin Oliver <quintin@smlt.com>
> Subject: Connect speed on FreeBSD.
>
> Greetings!
>
> We run a local ISP powered by FreeBSD 2.2.8 and 3.0, our users connect to
> FreeBSD on 2.2.8 on modem dial. The modems are Modular Technologies V.90
> compliant, however, many of our users have reported that they can only
> connect at about 31k to 35k a second, that is there actuall connect speed
> NOT BANDWIDTH from the net. I've checked our configuation over and over
> again, we are using Mgetty and we are asking it to connect the users at
> 57600??

Remember that 56K modems are asymetric(sp?) and *ONLY* do 33.6 from an
analog transmitter. This means that, unless your server has modems on
*digital* circuits (PRI, BRI, T1, etc...) with mostly 8-bit clean paths,
you will never get near 56K. If these are both modems plugged into analog
POTS ports, you are getting about the best throughput you can expect.

I usually tell people that their off-the-shelf modem can only *receive*
56K, but is limited to 33.6 transmit.

Hope this helps the understanding. - Jy@