Date:      Sun, 12 May 2002 22:46:19 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Special fx with disklabel(8)?

Hello everybody,

OK, just in order to clarify before things get out of hand.:-)

There is no immediate problem, the drive in question has been installed
and works fine. (using it this instant).

As for the BIOS part, the mobo could probably use an upgrade, because
the BIOS is still from spring of 1998. Award BIOS-en from around that
date had a problem that became known, as I learned through research, as
the "65536 cyl", or "32GB barrier." The behaviour of the BIOS is very
much like it. And yes, this is an Award PnP v4.51PG on a Shuttle
Spacewalker HOT-637/P (Intel 440LX chipset. Yes, old:-)

I was more curious than anything else: Since I disabled the drive in the
BIOS, it was entirely up to FreeBSD to decide what to do. The boot
process detected it with 79408/16/63, which is OK. The disklabel
however, somehow contained a larger number than the disk's capacity and
got the C value wrong. Of course, this was easily fixed with "disklabel
-e". Indeed, an overflow somewhere might have caused the symptoms.

This definitely did not happen on this system, under an earlier -CURRENT
and with a then-new 15 gig disk.

And no, I do not think 40 gig drives count as "very large" these days.

I am not sure what would have happened, if the BIOS support had been
correct to begin with. In fact, I did not even expect that the drive
would be found and probed correctly under the present circumstances, in
other words, FreeBSD caused a pleasant surprise. I just got a bit
worried, since 80 gig disks are quickly becoming commonplace in modern
PCs, and I was hoping that dd mode would not be *the* way to use them
under FreeBSD:-).

And Terry and Poul-Henning, please stop fighting, I am not going to do
anything to the system wrt this just now:-)

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Szombathely Hungary