Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 21:07:47 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Makoto Matsushita <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, re@FreeBSD.org, matusita@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Cross-platform releases

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 01:44:04AM +0900, Makoto Matsushita wrote:
>=20
> ru> This is just a heads up for anyone interested that I have just
> ru> started working on a cross-platform "make release" issue so that
> ru> "make release TARGET_ARCH=3Dalpha" on an i386 box would produce a
> ru> working Alpha release.
>=20
> Wonderful!  If there are any tasks I can help for you, feel free to
> email me.  My buildboxes are awaiting more jobs to do, but myself is
> awaiting more spare times to do :-(
>=20
A fast -CURRENT box with root access for "make release" would be
highly appreciated.  My 500MHz Celeron is too slow for this.

> ru> The next task will be to support cross-branch "make releases"
> ru> so that a 4.x box could be used to produce a 5.0 snapshot.
>=20
> It seems that there are 2 problems; some syscall issue, and md/vn
> device issue.  However, IIRC, the latter problem was already resolved
> by nyan-san.
>=20
There are no syscall issues in my version because I do not do a
second "installworld".

> ru> Supporting non-root "make release"s might be a good idea too.
>=20
> This requires that non-root uses vn/md device...
>=20
I realize that, there are some prerequisites for this too, like
setting vfs.usermount=3D1.  More about this later.

I estimate that 30% is already done.  :-)

Time to sleep now.

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,