Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 2003 14:03:26 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: spamassassin

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net> writes:
>
> > I've been trying to setup spamassassin on my freebsd box with postfix.
> > I was reading the other thread about spamassassin.  What i couldn't
> > figure out, was how it got the mail from the mail system.  I looked at
> > spamd but it didn't look like the program.  I googled and still
> > couldn't find a good tutorial.  If someone knows of a good tutorial and
> > could give me a quick explaination, i'd be greatful.  Oh, I am running
> > 5.1-RELEASE.  thanx
>
> My preferred method is by filtering through procmail.  It's a simple
> procmail recipe:
>     # pass through spamassassin
>     :0fw: spamassassin.lock
>     | /usr/local/bin/spamassassin
>
> (where the "w" flag tells it to continue procmail processing after
> running the message through spamassassin)

This is ok on workstations but it's hard to manage the load on a
multiuser system, since procmail is effectively a final delivery.
There's also a port for MailScanner, which operates prior to final
delivery on mail spools. It can integrate SpamAssassin and the virus
scanner(s) of your choice; as a plus, the load generated is far more
predictable.

Rereleasing dolphins into the wild since 1998.