Date:      21 Aug 2002 23:32:47 +0200
From:      "Georg-W. Koltermann" <Georg.Koltermann@mscsoftware.com>
To:        Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
Cc:        Tomas Hodan <tomas@hodan.sk>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install crash on hp omnibook 6100

Am Mi, 2002-08-21 um 21.52 schrieb Andy Sparrow:

> > i'm trying to install current from cd (i took 3 different builds) to
> > my notebook hp omnibook 6100. by booting the kernel after few lines
> > is the machine crashing. i'm not abte to see the reason, everything
> > goes too fast. has anybody similar situation? any ideas why? 4.6
> > works fine.
>
> Hi Tomas,
>
> Last time I installed -current on a 6100, having ACPI enabled would
> reboot the machine. Try disabling it from the boot loader, & search the
> -STABLE archives for the "ACPI causes immediate reboot" thread.
>
> I don't know the current status (I couldn't get an acceptable subset of
> devices for my primary machine whilst travelling, so sold it on).
>
> At least one person with a 6100 persevered further with this, maybe
> someone else can help you with the current status or better advice?

Yes I ran -current on my 6100 for a while.  I also reported the
immediate reset when booting with ACPI enabled. I haven't been able to
further narrow the problem down, and didn't get a reply from the ACPI
folks as well. So I ran with ACPI disabled.

I switched to 4.6R a while ago because I got tired of -current after a
phase of instability. Note that this is not a complaint, it is just that
a released version better fits my needs. I may go back to running
-current when I have more spare time.

--
Regards,
Georg.