Date:      Mon, 06 Jan 1997 17:35:00 -0500
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        jhupp@gensys.com (Jeff)
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as T1 router

Jeff writes...

>	Wonderful, perhaps they just don't know how to configure it.  My
>upstream runs ciscos, and I have had about 90 minutes of total down time from
>them in the last 14 months.
>
>	The cisco at my end just sits there and works.  Note the period.

The less you do with it, the less chance of a screw-up. Same goes for Unix.

>:
>: Fact 2 is that its not even being used as a high-end box (an HSSI
>: running only 4Mbs, a couple of T1s and a couple of ethernets)...a
>: configuration achievable with a FreeBSD box for about 1/10th the
>: price.
>
>	No, what is your time worth?  And how much of it have you put into
>that box?

Probably a lot more than yours...but even if it takes me a whole day (which I
seriously doubt) to build it and make it work...I think the $40,000 I save is
worth it. I can take the next day off :-) And I can stock a whole spare
unit for
less than what a Cisco Ethernet card costs.

>	There is also the tendency to point fingers, let me tell you I would
>much rather say, "You want to look at my cisco's config?" then "You want to
>look at the config on the FreeBSD box I made into a router?" when dealing
>with inter-operability problems...

Its only "Easier" because itswhat your familiar with. It is much easier to
debug a unix box with 2 lines of configuration for the serial line than
a cisco if you know what your doing. Most interoperabiltiy problems
are caused by clueless ISPs that have all their "ciscos" configured
with some mix of proprietary settings....if Cisco would default their
boxes to the standards there would be no interoperability problems.
there are so many  Cisco "options" you have a much greater chance of
creating an interoperability problem if you use them.

Dennis

Emerging Technologies, Inc.
Router cards for BSD/OS, FreeBSD and Linux
Standalone Routers
Bandwidth Allocation/Limiter Manager
http://www.etinc.com
sales@etinc.com