Date:      Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:20:03 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Darren Pilgrim" <darren.pilgrim@bitfreak.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to set device characteristics with devd

> From: "Darren Pilgrim" <darren.pilgrim@bitfreak.org>
> Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:04:05 -0800
>
> From: Kevin Oberman
> >
> > I've been trying to use devd for a number of things, but have
> > not gotten
> > far.
> >
> > One issue is when I attach an ATAPI disk:
> > attach 100 {
> >         device-name "acd0";
> >         action "/bin/chmod 666 /dev/$device-name";
> > }
> >
> > I have similar statements for my second hard drive (ad2s2).
> >
> > By using the -D option I see the device attach, but the chmod returns
> > an error indicating that /dev/acd0 does not exist. I get
> > similar results for other devices.
> >
> > Is there a delay between the attach event and the creation of the /dev
> > entry? Am I missing something here? Maybe I should use devfs for this.
>
> The normal tools (chmod, chown, etc.) don't work on devfs.  You need to
> create devfs rules to change permissions, ownership, etc. on device nodes.
>
> See devfs.rules(5) and devfs.conf(5).

Bingo, but you really need to see the handbook. I challenge anyone to
figure this out from just the man pages. (And the relevant text in the
handbook is in the section on scanner under "Allowing Scanner Access to
Other Users".)

In any case, once I found the magic rc.conf bit (which I had almost
guessed right from reading the devfs startup script), it works like a
charm!

I'd also like to create links for /dev/dvd and /dev/cdrom, like I can do
in devfs.conf, but that's easy enough to work around.

And thanks to Brooks for suggesting the same thing a few minutes after
Darren. I just did not understand the timing issues involved in devd
(which is still really cool).
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)