Date:      12 Jul 1996 11:46:26 -0400
From:      Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
To:        "Sexton, Robert" <sextonr.crestvie@squared.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Password mechanisms.

"Sexton, Robert" <sextonr.crestvie@squared.com> writes:

> I realize that kerberos has been integrated into BSD4.4.  Where does that
> leave the old fashioned /etc/passwd file?  I recently locked myself out

Too bad there are two flaws in using Kerberos currently:

(1) there is no way to disable it for specific accounts.  It always
    tries Kerberos first, then local password entry, if there is one.

(2) There is no way to specify remote realms for a user.  For example,
    I might want spirit@MIT.EDU to be the realm to use for local account
    spirit, not spirit@FLAME.ORG.

(3) It integrated Kerberos 4, which is going out eventually.

IMHO, get Cygnus's Kerberos 4 or 5, and call that that.

--Michael