Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2002 10:42:31 -1000
From:      Clifton Royston <cliftonr@lava.net>
To:        Bri <brian@ukip.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Subject:   Re: dhcp problems with my ISP

On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 11:46:50AM -0700, freebsd-hackers-digest wrote:
> Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 03:17:17 -0700
> From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
> Subject: Re: dhcp problems with my ISP
>
> Bri wrote:
> > Hi I have a Cable and have a Cable Modem for my internet connection of which
> > you use dhcp to obtain an IP address great but this only seems to work
> > successfully on a Windows machine I've registered all the other mac
> > addresses of unix boxes and Apple macs I have and they seem to have alot of
> > difficulty obtaining IP addresses. Especially the UNIX machines which run
> > FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE or 5.0-CURRENT on sparc64 at the moment the sparc64 box
> > which is a Sun Ultra 5 which is the worst for detecting an IP with dhclient.
> >
> > What I would really like to know is what does the windows dhcp do
> > differently than say dhclient.
> >
> > I would be very interested to know as I would like a UNIX machine that can
> > maintain and IP address.
>
> Use the same exact NIC.
>
> Often, once the cable company sees a MAC address, it filters all
> other MAC addresses from getting a lease from your wire.
>
> The intent of this is to prevent people grabbing more than one
> lease simultaneously, or running more than one machine at a time.
>
> Ask Julian Elisher.  He had exactly this problem with a machine
> in San Francisco, 2 years ago.
>
> Note: If you ask, he will say "Yes, I had exactly this problem";
> he won't tell you anything you can do about it, except "Use the
> same exact NIC", because that's really the only fix.
>
> - -- Terry

  This is true.

  However, one special and relevant case of "Use the same exact NIC" is
to set up one of the various UNIX boxes as your gateway doing NAT, and
have it act as a DHCP server for your LAN.  Once that's done it can
issue DHCP leases to all your other systems, and then (for most
protocols) you can run as many machines as you like on your LAN using
that one cable company IP address.

  The freedom to do this kind of thing is one of the advantages of
using free UNIXes, and one might as well take advantage of it.

  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
"What do we need to make our world come alive?