Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 1997 17:14:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
To:        Robin Cutshaw <robin@intercore.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Peter Wemm <peter@FreeBSD.ORG>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   New de driver in 2.2.5-BETA

link2 won't ever help you again - see de(4).

I am running DEC DE500-XA cards.  I built the world and the kernel a
couple of hours ago, and adding "media 100baseTX" achieves the desired
result (ie in place of link2 in the ifconfig for that interface.)

One de driver difference between -current and 2.2.5-beta is that
-current's ifconfig always shows you the media options, while 2.2.5-beta
does so only if you say 'ifconfig -m', the documented behavior for both
-stable and -current.

I'm not sure if it is a feature or bug, but if your interface is
ifconfig'ed when there is no carrier present (eg. first machine up on a
crossover cable), ifconfig will tell you that there is no carrier even
after link is established:

2.2.5-beta> ifconfig de0
de0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.1.9 netmask 0xfffffff8 broadcast 192.168.1.15
        ether 00:00:f8:01:10:ad
        media: 100baseTX status: no carrier

current>  ifconfig de0
de0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.1.10 netmask 0xfffffff8 broadcast 192.168.1.15
        ether 00:00:f8:01:12:e8
        media: 100baseTX status: no carrier
        supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX
             10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP

Other than that the updated driver appears to work fine on the DE500,
-current and 2.2.5-beta

-Chris