Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2002 08:06:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Wilbur <matt@efs.org>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 1000baseSX driver support?

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> If memory serves me right, Matt Wilbur wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to figure out if there are *any* 1000baseSX NICs supported in
> > 4.5-RELEASE?  I've tried a GA-621T and a Tigeon (3c985B), with no luck.
> > LINT suggests that nge will support DP83820 and DP83821 chipsets.. but our
> > GA621T (with a DP83820) won't work.  It suggests that ti will support
> > Tigon 1 and 2, but our 3c985B doesn't work.
>
> I don't know the answer to your question, but I bet you'll have better
> luck getting an answer if you can express exactly what "doesn't work"
> means.  For example:  Does it probe at boot-time?  Can you bring the
> interface up with ifconfig?  What happens when you try sending data?

Doh!  I'm sorry, thanks for the reminder.  This system is particularly
frustrating because it's in a lab I can't connect to the rest of our
network.  Basically, when the GA-621 doesn't work, I get this during boot:

nge0: <National Semiconductor Gigabit Ethernet> port 0xe800-0xe8ff mem
0xfebff0>
nge0: Ethernet address: 00:40:f4:29:ec:0d
nge0: MII without any PHY!
device_probe_and_attach: nge0 attach returned 6

The 3c985b doesn't get even acknowledged during boot, so I'm probably
doing something dumb.  I need to go back and do some more homework.

I had looked at the nge driver last week and was starting to get
the impression that there is no PHY support for 1000baseSX.. but that
doesnt seem to be the case.  the nge driver croaks when it does an
mii_phy_probe()..

Thanks for everyone else's responses.. Sounds like I should've bought a
syskonnect NIC instead of this 3com. . .

confused,
Matt