Date:      Mon, 21 May 2007 20:30:09 GMT
From:      David Wood <david@wood2.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/112652: net/freeradius: exited on signal 10 when used with sql authorization

The following reply was made to PR ports/112652; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Wood <david@wood2.org.uk>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, lists@nerdbynature.de
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 20:38:42 +0100

 Normally email to the maintainer (in this case, me - check the port's
 Makefile) or at least a pointer to the PR gets better results than
 filing a PR on a port without alerting the maintainer - but I did
 eventually notice this PR.

 The documentation is in /usr/local/share/doc/freeradius (assuming you
 haven't redefined ${PREFIX}). I suggest you start with the file 'bugs'.

 As is suggested in that file, asking on freeradius-users is the best
 source of support. I've worked hard over the last few revisions of the
 port to minimise the number of patches and changes the port makes to the
 distribution tarball, and in version 1.1.6 the only changes made are
 extremely minor (the addition of one #include line to one file which is
 probably only needed for FreeBSD 4.x, also sed is used to patch the
 Makefiles to install raddb in a non-default location following a
 discussion with the developers, in which they preferred this over adding
 the necessary support to FreeRADIUS' configure).

 At the very least, fuller output from the debugging mode started with
 radiusd -X before and up to the point of the crash would be helpful, as
 would details if your FreeRADIUS configuration.

 As an aside, using ports OpenSSL for FreeRADIUS is highly recommended
 (looking at the shared library version, you might be using base system
 OpenSSL, which is something of an antique on FreeBSD 6.x).

 All I can say - truthfully - is "it works for me" on FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE
 i386. I don't have access to an amd64 machine, but upgrading from
 6.1-STABLE (which could be at any point along the timeline from
 6.1-RELEASE to 6.2-RELEASE) to 6.2-RELEASE might give a more consistent
 starting place to debug this. That said, I doubt this is anything to do
 with your OS version.

 You also give no details of the MySQL setup - particularly the version
 you're using.

 HUPping FreeRADIUS 1.1.6 is a bad idea - at the very least it leaks
 memory when HUPped (though it's less likely to segfault immediately when
 HUPped than previous versions). Unfortunately, segfaulting on the first
 request after HUP is common - one reason why restarting the server is a
 better idea. This is a known deficiency which is being worked on - but
 for which there's no quick fixes.

 2.0, when it releases, is apparently much better behaved over HUP; I
 intend to get a 2.0.0-pre1 port together in the next few days, but we're
 still in ports slush after the Xorg 7.2 upgrade.

 A lot of the development effort on FreeRADIUS has gone into 2.0
 recently; my understanding is that the SQL code is significantly
 improved in 2.0, but that back-porting those improvements to 1.x isn't
 feasible. Whilst the FreeRADIUS project haven't officially announced
 this, I believe that when 2.0 is released, support for 1.x will be
 dropped pretty quickly.

 Unfortunately configurations do need reworking for 2.x.

 Feel free to take this to private mail if you wish (and/or
 freeradius-users). I don't have GNATS access, so I can't do anything via
 PR that I can't do via email. Meanwhile, if this is a bug in FreeRADIUS,
 following the instructions in the 'bugs' file is your best hope of a
 fix.

 David
 --
 David Wood