Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 2000 14:34:45 +0200
From:      "Marko Vukovic'" <vukko@cequrux.com>
To:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr
Cc:        p_a_r <p_a_r@goplay.com>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question.

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> [ moved over to -chat, since it does not belong to -hackers ]
>
> Dear Joe,
>
> On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 07:37:56AM -0800, p_a_r wrote:
> > Hello i'm writing an article about open source and i need some
> > feedback about FreeBSD vs Linux. So can you hackers help me whita
> > that. Whats so good in FreeBSD and whats bad in Linux...
> >
> > Joe Fisher
>
> There are a lot of similarities in the two operating systems; a lot of
> subtle little differences too.  However, I think that nobody will be
> more authoritative in writing an article that outlines your opinion
> about the two, none other than *you* yourself.
>
> If you finish this article of yours, or are close to finishing it, then
> a lot of people will be happy to review it.  Writing it though... well,
> that is something you should do for yourself :)
>
> PS: Please do not post to freebsd-hackers for general things, like an
>     article or something.  There is always freebsd-chat for chatting
>     about freebsd.
>
> - Giorgos Keramidas

Unix was invented at Bell Labs, but there was a schism between its
developers
about 15 years ago. Bell Labs went one way with its version of Unix (now
called
System V or System 5), while the University of California at Berkeley
went
another way with its version, called BSD. Linux is not closely related
to either of
these; it's a descendant of Minix, which was a Unix clone. In fact,
Linux has
features of both System 5 and BSD.

At this point, for most purposes, there's no real difference between
Linux and
BSD. Neither one is necessarily better than the other. You should choose
based
on your own preferences and what kind of support is available to you.

If you're surrounded by BSD lovers, you should probably use BSD because
you'll get more help from your peers. If you're surrounded by Linux
users, use
Linux. If you're all alone, you should probably use Linux because there
are more
books on it and there's more support for it out on the Web. But
remember, truly
portable Unix software runs on both platforms just fine.

--
Marko.