Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 1996 23:16:23 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Video capture cards for MBONE? Laptops for MBONE?

I've been tracking some of the recent traffic on MBONE tool support,
and got nv to talk to my QuickCam, and I've had vat on speaking terms
with my Gus Max. I didn't find anything in the release notes or
multimedia page on www.freebsd.org.

I wanted to find out what the supported video capture cards are, and
are expected to be, so I can jack-in a regular video camera. The Vic
code indicates that the Matrox Meteor is supported. Is this in the
kernel, or slated for 2.2, or ...? I'm at 2.1-RELEASE now.

I'd like to build out a laptop which could do MBONE: plug a PCMCIA
ethernet card in, a PCMCIA video capture card in and go. How possible
is this? Do the laptops' "SoundBlaster compatible" facilities really
work for vat? Some laptops?

As a low-end, I'd be happy with plugging a QuickCam into the parallel
port, but I'd still need audio.

Thanks.