Date:      Fri, 6 Dec 2002 09:45:51 -0800
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>
To:        Octavian Hornoiu <octavian@hacknslash.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: nsswitch functionality

--cbsCxbAnPLQXdgdB

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 09:31:00AM -0800, Octavian Hornoiu wrote:
> I have been doing a lot of research into integrating FreeBSD into my comp=
any's=20
> network recently and we have been converting our servers to FreeBSD gradu=
ally=20
> but one of the hurdles to overcome is the login issue.  In order to make =
logins=20
> seamless across our network I **MUST** use NT logins which means I need w=
inbind=20
> functionality to work.
>=20
> Winbind requires nsswitch to work properly and I know that FreeBSD does n=
ot=20
> support it currently but why is this not a top priority at the moment?  I=
 would=20
> much rather have nsswitch working than some of the minor features introdu=
ced in=20
> 5.0.  At least, this is my humble opinion and I might be asking too much.=
  Is=20
> there a dedicated resource working on nsswitch at the current moment or i=
s the=20
> project dead?

There are some plans to get this done, but it probably will not be for 5.x
due to fundamental changes that have to occur in libc. I can recommend some
alternatives if you are using Active Directory that I've implemented in my
environments at work (basically ripping everything out of LDAP and shoving
it into an NIS domain).

If you are willing to spend some money on getting it done, please contact
me.

-gordon

--cbsCxbAnPLQXdgdB

--cbsCxbAnPLQXdgdB--