Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 02:10:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        "Thomas D. Dean" <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recent -current Performance Drop?

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> >I seem to see somewhat of a performance drop in the past week.
>
> You should have read the commit messages :-)
>
> I enabled malloc flags AJ by default, this has a performance
> cost.  It will be turned off for releases of course.
>
> It has already exposed on bug (see peters commit).

                         ^- Multiple bugs, thankyouverymuch :)

> You can disable it if you want to run benchmarks:

If you run a desktop system (need good response) and aren't willing to
take the large performance hit, too.  Note it's a large performance
hit when you tend to run a LOT of stuff and always dig into swap very
quickly.  I imagine for most people, the performance drop isn't nearly
as high, so they can live with it :)