Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 14:07:58 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        f-ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: package problem w/ sawfish

maxim, please hard wrap your lines around 65 or so characters. it's
very daunting to quote your message otherwise.

this was, on the fateful occasion around Sep 25 06:48 -0400,
sent by Maxim Sobolev

> Heh, I've already told you several times that you can't make
> arbitrary changes in the port's makefile and expect that it will
> "just work".

i am quite aware of it; that's why i didn't file pr and have given up
on filing pr when packaging fails after changes. but in this case, i
got the impression that perhaps packging won't fail this time. (see my
original message for the reason.)

btw, jeremy lea's suggestion (via private mail) of undoing the changes
and using -DWITHOUT_GNOME option did the trick.

> I would like to suggest you to obtain some glue about how the ports
> system works first (for
> example, read Porter's Handbook) and then look back at your changes
> to find why it was failing.
>
> -Maxim

i thought the porter's handbook was only for those, well, porters. i
will see it later.