Date:      Mon, 02 Aug 2004 06:21:29 +0200
From:      Remko Lodder <remko@elvandar.org>
To:        DK <asdzxc111@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BigApache for Windows - Why doesn't BSD have an installerpackage like this ???

DK wrote:

> Hi Giorgos,
>
> I don't feel safe yet connecting my unsecured box to the net with the 5-10 hits
> a minute my W2000 box recieves on my broadband link. I have read the security
> section of the manual & would like to get basics working before I rebuild the
> kernel to install the firewall(which doesn't seem that easy but I will give it
> try)

Hey DK,

FreeBSD is much more secure then a clean windows system, though i would
do the same (since i am very security minded). You can however let your
windows2k box route the FreeBSD machine to the internet so that it can
obtain the latest revisions of the ports and sourcetree, as described in
the handbook.

>>This is probably not why xfce doesn't work though.  The
>>sysutils/xfce4-utils package installs a command called "startxfce4".
>>AFAIK, this is the program that fires up xfce.  When you install that
>>package (as part of the dependency list of xfce4) you should be able to
>>use xfce4 as your desktop by editing your ~/.xinitrc file and making
>>sure that the last command it runs is:
>>
>>	exec startxfce4
>

> my .xinitrc file contains only the one line:
> ----------
> exec startxfce4
> ----------
>
> & it still won't start.
> As I can't get it to start, I just delete this line using VI(I am getting
> better :) & replace it with "exec wmaker" which starts OK.

Did you try to execute startxfe4 manually? Is it actually there? isn't
it a glitch in a old version (Which you seem to refuse to update since
it's not secure) ? check it out !

>>>3)I am trying to install Apachetoolbox-1.5.70(it may well be a
>>>BigApache for BSD :)) - but I get the errors "Command not found"
>>>trying to run it:
>>
>>This is not the proper way to install ports or packages in FreeBSD.
>>Please, refer to the Handbook section on ports and packages for details.
>>

>>>[snip irrelevant attempts to force bash to do something mysterious]
>

> Apachetoolbox is not an official freeBSD port/package(www.apachetoolbox.com).
> Its a script/ports pack that you run which creates all the scripts needed to
> install a large array of Apache & other www stuff(eg. MySQL etc).

It's no ports pack, it's a set of scripts, which is not supported by
FreeBSD, so when there is an leak,  you should find out yourself and
update it (instead of enable-ing one tiny little feature of the weekly
scripts (400.status-pkg) which gives you an overview of outdated
packages) besides that you should install portaudit which daily checks
whether your applications are vulnerable to known issues.
But that would be your own free choice.

> The install file that comes with it says to install it by running install.sh.
>
> It says(further down) that "BSD users, the script interpreter of install.sh is
> BASH (/bin/bash). - Thats why I started BASH - Do you know what the "bad
> interpreter" error means ???

Yes that probably means "I cannot find the /bin/bash shell, so i cannot
handle your request", why? bash is not installed in /bin/bash but in
/usr/local/bin/bash, it was displayed when you installed it, you can see
it in your password entry, and it is listed in /etc/shells...

--
Kind regards,

Remko Lodder                   |remko@elvandar.org
Reporter DSINet                |remko@dsinet.org