Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 01:23:16 +1100
From:      Mark.Andrews@isc.org
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Mark_Andrews@isc.org, alexus <mail@alexus.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fw: Cron <root@c> /usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -h cvsup.FreeBSD.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile >/dev/null;cd /usr/src;make buildworld >/dev/null;make buildkernel >/dev/null

> On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 02:36:37PM +1100, Mark.Andrews@isc.org wrote:
>
> > > Yeah, but they're not problems the end user needs to worry about, in
> > > that they're perfectly normal when compiling FreeBSD.
> >=20
> > 	So you have performed the call analysis to verify that there
> > 	is not a bounds write violation?
> >=20
> > 	The program is buggy.  If someone submitted a patch for BIND
> > 	which generated this error I would not accept it as it is.
> > 	I'd either send it back to them to correct or fix the calling
> > 	sequence myself.
>
> I think you're missing my point.  Yes, they're probably pieces of code
> which should be fixed by the developers, but they're not abnormal
> messages from the FreeBSD build process (since they're there all the
> time) which the end user needs to take action over.
>
> Kris

	Except not all of them are there all the time.  There are
	changes to the code base and these changes can generate new
	warnings that happen to be over looked because of all the
	other warnings that are being ignored.

	The problem is to be able to tell which warning falls into
	which category.  It it the same old warning or is it a new
	one that really should be addressed.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews@isc.org