Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 09:54:04 +0100
From:      nclayton@lehman.com
To:        john <it.kbr@memo.volvo.se>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd/ipfw docs

On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 04:46:52PM +0000, john wrote:
> First let take the opportunity to thank you for the wonderfull work you
> do. It´s apperciated by many here at my office.

Always nice to hear :-)

> Beeing a recently added subscriber to the freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> mailinglist i see questions dayly on how to configure systems to run
> Network Address Translation and Firewalls. I seems there is a lack of
> documentation dealing with theese subjects, somewhere to point people
> to. Having just set it up (fresh in memory :) i tought i´d write
> something on the subject myself. What do you think, would this help
> you,or is there already some documentation (besides man pages) for this
> that i have missed?

Firewalls are discussed in some detail in the Handbook at

    http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/firewalls.html

and at

    http://www.dvl-software.com/freebsd/topics.htm#firewalls

I don't NAT is covered in the Handbook, but you can see other people's
documentation about it at

    http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/ppp.html (section 4.3)
    http://www.dvl-software.com/freebsd/topics.htm#nat

However, if you'd like to write more complete documentation about it,
please do.  You should probably take a look at

    http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/docproj-primer/

first.

--+==[ Systems Administrator, Year 2000 Test Lab, Lehman Brothers, Inc. ]==+--
--+==[      1 Broadgate, London, EC2M 7HA     0171-601-0011 x5514       ]==+--
--+==[              Year 2000 Testing: It's about time. . .             ]==+--