Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 1995 23:08:59 +0100
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Macintosh filesystem features

I was reflecting about a featute that the MacOS has and which
I did not see on other OSs:

The DATA and the RESOURCE fork.

I don't know if this is patented
and why it has not been adopted by other filesystems.
Not even in Win95 (though this doesn't actually say much :)
you can find this feature. At least I believe it is not possible
to add an arbitrary resource to an arbitrary file (like a bitmap).
(One can link an .rbj to an .exe, though but that's all)
At most to a certain extension like .doc to Word files and so on.

What I'm asking myself (and file system experts) if this
could be implemented in FreeBSD, perhaps as an addition/extension
to the existing filesystems.

When designing GUIs, window managers and such it would be nice if this
resource/data dualism would be hidden rather than having sort of
container files or other methods like .hidden files or files
starting with special characters (%).

Comments?